Wednesday, June 27, 2012

They're Real!- A Mascara Review

Hey guys! Today I thought I'd share my thoughts on Benefit's They're Real! Mascara. There was a lot of hype over this mascara and I had heard tons of good things. Some people claim it's their Holy Grail mascara! After hearing all this, of course, I wanted to see what all the craze was about and decided to try it out for myself. 

Here's what Benefit claims this mascara does:
"They're real! lengthens, curls, volumizes, lifts & separates. Our jet black, long-wearing formula won’t smudge or dry out. A specially designed brush reveals lashes you never knew you had!
94% saw dramatic length & volume*  
90% saw base-to-tip curl* 
94% saw visible lift* 
100% saw long-wearing results* 
*Results observed in a consumer panel survey"
Also, this mascara is priced at $22 and gets a 4.5/5 stars on their website.

Now, for my opinion...
I was really excited to try this mascara and my expectations were high. First off, I love the name of this mascara- very original. I also think the packaging is really cute- it's reminds me of a sleek bullet and the font is creative.



When I initially tried it, I felt that it glided on easily and the wand seemed to separate my lashes fairly well. I don't particularly like this type of plastic wand, but it's OK. The color is also really black, which is something I look for in a mascara. But, if your a girl who likes to wear a lighter shade of black or some type of brown, keep looking. This mascara comes in one color- jet black.



The pictures below are with 2 coats of mascara. The results are ehhh.. but not a total bust. I've gotten better results from drugstore mascara. In the picture (I'm not sure if you can tell) but on the outer-half of my lashes it's uneven. The base of my lashes look thicker with mascara while the tips look like I hardly got any mascara on them. 



By the end of the day I noticed that when I pinched my lashes, they didn't feel as if they ever dried. When I touched them, it felt like a sticky mess. The picture below shows after I pinched my lashes and rubbed my two fingers together. You can clearly see that the mascara has rubbed off. I also noticed by the end of the day that mascara had smudged a little underneath my eyes but nothing too terribly noticeable. 


Overall, in all honesty, for the money I don't think it's that great. It's definitely not my Holy Grail. I think that this product was a little overrated but it's not the worst I've tried. Maybe you'll like it (it did receive 4.5/5 stars) but for me, I won't be repurchasing this again. 


Don't forget to follow me on FB!- http://www.facebook.com/BeautyGuide101?ref=tn_tnmn



Pin It

24 comments:

  1. Great review! I recently bought the travel size They're Real and have basically the same opinions!
    xo,
    http://missmelissafashionandbeautyblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know that I'm not the only one who thought this about this mascara! It was a good idea to get the travel size.
      -Amber

      Delete
  2. thanks for the review. As I get older, my lashes got so much thinner..I think I am finally at the point where i would pay for longer, thicker lashes...
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think fuller lashes make the biggest difference! Thanks for your comment!
      -Amber

      Delete
  3. Thank you for saving me the $22! Hype can get you sometimes! I do agree that some drugstore brand mascaras are a whole lot better!

    themodmermaid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's amazing how much drugstore brands have improved in the past few years. It's great! :)
      -Amber

      Delete
  4. OMG, this is such an honest review because I would definitely think about buying this especially because the packaging is so cute. But the fact it didn't really dry would be annoying. I've always found the best luck with Loreal Voluminous but I keep my eye out for new ones so thanks for this review

    You have really pretty eyes btw :)

    xoDale
    http://www.savvyspice.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely LOVE L'Oreal Voluminous mascara! I think it's safe to say that that mascara is my Holy Grail mascara. And the fact that the Benefit mascara didn't dry was pretty weird and it did kind of bothered me. Oh well, you never know what you'll like until you try it. :)
      -Amber

      Delete
  5. you should try the Napoleon Perdis "Mesmer-eyes" mascara! i seriously have never used anything like it!http://allthingsbeautybytiarni.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. I've never heard of that. I just looked it up online and it looks like I can order it on Ebay. Maybe I'll give it a try! Thanks for your comment!
      -Amber

      Delete
  6. great post!
    you have pretty eyes :)
    http://beautyplethora.blogspot.com.au/
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. love honest reviews. Cute packaging always gets me, lol. Fabulous post, love. If you get a sec, I'd love to hear what you think of my new maxi. xo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I love cute packaging too. It makes you really want to use it but i hate that the product isn't as great as the packaging. Thanks for the comment! I'll be sure to check out your post.
      -Amber

      Delete
  8. I've never tried it before but your eyelashes seems fabulous!!!
    xo
    Anastasia
    http://natbeesfashion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing!!!:)

    nishalooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love an honest review. Thanks for this! I am always trying new mascara so I love to read reviews about different products.

    Amy


    Fashion and Beauty Finds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love honest reviews too. It wastes my time to hear a bunch of bologna about how amazing something is when it's really not all that great. lol I'd rather spend my time reading people's "real" thoughts. :)
      -Amber

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing this and all the review! I can't keep noticing your beautiful eye-blow, by the way..! The shape and everything is just so perfect! Mine is so short and I look so funny without make-up, haha xo akiko
    Style Imported

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great review, thank you for sharing! I've always wondered if expensive brand name mascaras are more or less the same as drugstore ones.

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it just depends.. There are some pretty good drugstore mascaras out there now, I think. I really like the L'Oreal Voluminous mascara! It works wonders for my lashes! You should try it if you haven't already. :)
      -Amber

      Delete
  13. Oh man I totally agree with this review. This mascara gets so much hype but in reality it is seriously medeocre. I was at Sephora a few months agp looking for a new mascara and had this in my hand and the sales girl actually told me not to buy it. I ended up with Dior shadow blast (a little pricey at $31) and I am in love with it!! Jet black too.

    Sarah (following back)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks this mascara is overrated! lol
      Thanks for following! :)
      -Amber

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...